Good Evening.
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Christina and I am one of Fr. Gio's nieces. Collectively Fr. Gio has four nieces and four nephews. Among us, we have given him 10 grand nieces and nephews and one is on the way! We expected the baby to arrive today, but like a true Croatian, he or she is late!
You all know my uncle as Fr. Gio, but we, his nieces and nephews, loving call him Borba, which means uncle in Croatian. Borba is also my God Father so the connection between us has always been extra special. Over the years I've even felt that I am his favorite!
I don't want to be presumptions but I think I an confidently stand here and say that I'm just the spokesperson for all of us today, as I'm sure we all feel the same about Borba.
When we were much younger, before the days of Croatian Relief Services, Borba used to visit us quite often. He would spend weekends with us at times and help us plant gardens, play with us in the pool and bring out his video camera to shoot home movies. He loved us and showed it by showering us with love and attention.
Of course, He was a major part of our spiritual lives. Besides my Baptism, he was a part of my First Holy Communion and Confirmation mass. And God willing, He will one day marry me and Baptise my children as he has done and will do for my siblings and cousins. Borba also served the Holy mass when his father, my grandfather, passed away. What a blessed job is is to be a priest and celebrate life on earth as well as eternal life in heaven with God, our Father. I'm sure that many, if not all in this room, have been blessed by my Borba in one of the mentioned masses.
Since Croatian Relief Services has opened I have been blessed to witness the amazing works my uncle has accomplished, and at times, worked side by side with him. There are few words that can think of to describe my Borba because the words would not do him any justice. There is no word to describe him, instead, it's a feeling in my heart...and if you all know him well, I'm sure you have the same feeling.
One of the cool things about being Fr. Gio's niece is that I get treated differently. If people know that I am his niece they roll out the red carpet for me. It's like Fr. Gio is a celebrity and I'm part of his entourage! People want to talk to me, feed me and while traveling through Croatia I have a ride and a free place to stay anytime because of my Borba!
As cool as that is, I know WHY people treat me that way. It has nothing to do with my personality and charm, but everything to do with the respect and gratitude everyone has for my Borba. He has done so much for so many and they want to try to repay him. And I don't mind if they want to do that through me!
One of the best things about Borba is that when I call him and ask how he is doing he responds with "Tired and up to my ears with work!" and then, he laughs.
One of Mother Teresa's famous quotes is, "The miracle is not hat we do this work, but that we are happy to do it." My Borba, your beloved Fr. Gio, has found and lives out the true meaning of life...to serve others and to be happy to do it!
Mother Teresa also said, "Each of them is Jesus in disguise" when talking about the people she serves. That sounds like such a simple quote but please, think about it for a moment. Can you imagine what this world would be like if we are able to see Jesus in everyone? I am so far from loving people in that way. I usually do things for myself and don't find the joy in it! To help myself change my ways, I often meditate on the quote from Mother Teresa and pray to Our Lady. How do I really begin to put myself aside for others? And how do I find happiness in doing that?
Borba, your work around the world, especially in Haiti, has been an inspiration to many. Your work has lit a fire in me that burns so brightly for Jesus. While you have been going to Haiti to feed the starving people with food, your actions have also been feeding my soul, and the souls of many here at home, with Jesus.
Thank you for 35 years of dedication and inspiration. You have given so much and I know thee is still much more to do.
Borba, I love you very much!
No comments:
Post a Comment